Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Good Morning

photography by Sally Matsukawa of  Toy Elephant 2012 all rights reserved



Morning Friends.  I thought i would start the day with some words.  The dictionary is always a fun ride. 


fan-ta-sy

  
noun
1.
imaginative power  the creative power of imagination
2.
mental image or dream  an image or dream created by imagination
3.
impractical idea an unrealistic and unpractical idea

art

  
noun
1.
the creation of beautiful things  the creation of beautiful or thought-provoking works, e.g., in painting music or writing
2.
beautiful objects  beautiful or though provoking works produced through crative activity
3.
creation by humans creation by human endeavor rather than nature

fash·ion

  
noun
1.
a prevailing custom or style of dress, etiquette, socializing,etc.: the latest fashion in dresses.
2.
conventional usage in dress, manners, etc., especially ofpolite society, or conformity to it: the dictates of fashion; to beout of fashion.
3.
manner; way; mode: in a warlike fashion.
4.
the make or form of anything: He liked the fashion of the simple, sturdy furniture.
5.
a kind; sort: All fashions of people make up the world.



The definition of Art I found in the dictionary, although lovely- left something to be desired.  So here is my all time favorite definition of art by L Ron Hubbard:

"Art:  The quality of communication."    He goes on to say, "Perfection cannot be attained at the expense of communication."

Says it all.

So here is the beginning of me trying to share and document my current artistic endeavors.  I have no clue how to breach the subject but somewhere in the dictionary as I looked to find the definition of the word fashion, I stumbled upon the word Fantasy-  and fell in love with the definitions I found.  I am embarked upon the adventure and the struggle of having art be the means by which i make my living but finding out how to keep the adventure and discovery alive and my personal integrity and desire to above all things, create art that communicates and-  no matter the form- is art.  This is going to be interesting. And never fear friends-  Although I am in a contemplative mood on this particular Thursday night-  I promise that sometimes i am funny ;)  Welcome to the adventure.  I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I do.

xoxo







2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see where this goes and I am so thrilled that you wondered into our booth at Bastille Day!
    Random question, is that one of those tunnels over near Marathon Village between 10th & 11th? I always thought they'd be perfect for a fashion shoot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you soo Much! Likewise :) and it most certainly is. Such a pretty tunnel :)

    ReplyDelete